Discover all six countries rimming the Black Sea: Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, and Bulgaria. Beautiful landscapes, from rugged mountains to pastoral farmlands, set the stage for stunning architecture and archaeological sites that span the centuries, connecting contemporary cultures with those of vanished civilizations. Our in-depth program explores the ruins of Greco-Roman sites, Byzantine basilicas and monasteries adorned in gold mosaics, exquisitely tiled Ottoman mosques, and charming red-roofed villages laced with cobblestone lanes. The Black Sea also provides fine opportunities to explore varied natural settings on foot or by local boats, including Romania's Danube Delta and the wetlands around Histria.
- Visit archaeological sites such as the cliffside Sumela monastery in Turkey, the Greek site of Chersonesus in Ukraine, and the fabled site of Histria in Romania
- Explore Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet District, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the 17th-century Blue Mosque, and Aya Sofya, a 6thcentury symbol of the Byzantine Empire
- Make a stop in Sochi, a mineralspring resort community with a subtropical climate and site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games
- View the largest Roman ruins in Bulgaria, the 2nd-century thermae, or public baths
- Enjoy an energetic performance of traditional dances in Georgia
- Cruise through the winding canals of the Danube River Delta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve, as we search for over 200 species of birds